To check if it's time to move to a seat belt, have your child sit on the back seat with the lap-shoulder belt buckled. It's time to move to a seat belt if all of the following statements are true:
- Your child can sit so his whole back is touching the back of the vehicle seat,
- When sitting back, your child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the vehicle seat,
- The lap portion of the seat belt is riding low across the hips, touching the tops of your child's legs,
- The shoulder portion of the belt is crossing between your child's neck and arm, AND
- Your child can and will remain in this position for the entire trip.
Kids 12 and under are safest riding in the back seat.
Parents, wear your seat belt for every ride. Itís the law in Alberta.
If you need help, you can talk with a nurse by calling:
Alberta Health Link 1-866-408-5465
(780) 408-5465 in Edmonton
(403) 943-5465 in Calgary